Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Ten Weeks from now......

Hello - Sorry that I missed my Tuesday post!

Ten weeks from now it will be August 28th and we will be into our pre-season training.  We will have had our 5K time trial in the park and the team will be set.  Make sure that you will be with us for the most exciting Cross Country Season yet by paying attention to these things!

1.  Stick with your summer running program -having a good base of quality mileage will assure a good 5K time!

2.  Remember the 3 R's - Rest, Refuel and Rehydrate!

3.  Limit racing to your hometown 5K or a July 4th 5K - summer focus is on base training

4.  Stay in touch with each other - encourage each other, talk about your runs, share your triumphs and your struggles!  That is what teammates are for!

When I workout I listen to Jana Stanfield - The music has lots of encouraging songs!  The titles include

  • Whatever It Takes
  • Amazing Things
  • Let the Change Begin
  • Between the No Longer and the Not Yet
Trying to workout consistently for me has been a struggle since my surgery in November, but with finishing Chemo on June 7th, things are getting better.  I hope to run a 5K on July 13th, so have been working on my aerobic capacity.  Most workouts I do an elliptical like machine for 15 minutes and then run/walk a mile on an indoor track, and then a strength workout.  Today I did my run outside and was able to complete a mile in 11:03 with some walking.  I have my goal set on a continuous running 5K, but today was epic as this was my first time under a 12:00 minute mile!  Thanks for letting me share a triumph!

Ten weeks from now, I once again will be the happiest person in Staunton as I ride my bike through the streets and park, training the GREAT MBC Cross Country Team!

Keep training,

Coach Spalding



No comments:

Post a Comment