Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Taking a trip - Holiday Thoughts

Monday I flew down to the USTFCCCA meeting. On the flight I had some thoughts about planning, taking and arriving at final destinations as related to being a team member.

I would like to share some thoughts on this as a coach, team member, or recruit and how Mary Baldwin can prepare to be a Championship team in 2014.

Today I will blog on wanting or needing to take a trip.

We are all a long ways from the fall season, but as a coach, returning runner or a recruit we need to make the decision to be a part of the team and start to prepare.

As a coach I am at my annual coaches meeting hearing from other coaches on training practices for distance running. I also have time to chat with coaches across the country and across divisions on how their season went and how recruiting and preparation for next season is going. It helps that I am in beautiful and warm Florida to energize.

As a returning runner, one must make the commitment to run another year now. As a program without track Fighting Squirrels need to train on their own until we begin our non traditional season. You too get the opportunity to talk about your season with family, friends and former coaches over the break.  I hope that in your quest to always run faster you take some time to evaluate the season and plan now for a great 2014.

For recruits now is the time to think seriously about where you will spend your college years.  I hope that you have found out all you need about Mary Baldwin and our team. Some of you have visited and others will visit in January. The next step after a visit is making a decision and putting down a deposit. To all recruits that I have reached out to I know you could help our cross country program.  I also believe that you can get a great education at Mary Baldwin!  This is the time for you to get your ticket to college. It is always great to have a ticket bought and start planning for your trip. College is an exciting and important part of your life. I hope that you will soon commit and we can plan together for your academic and running career.

Next Blog - Packing for the trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment